SelectoGuru was launched in November 2014. The main team is M. Hayward and Y. Frank. Hayward is a former journalist, Frank has long worked as product designer of everything from electronics to suitcases. We consult with other experts on an ad hoc basis, plus research, research, research…. While perhaps obsessed with tools for good living and with functionality, we’re not so into tech for the sake of itself. We’re rather more motivated by the desire to spread the best information on consumer choices, particularly in certain countries and for types of products where this is lacking, or where information tends to be geared toward the ultra-geeky.
Some translations are provided by Paolo Dagonnier, a French-speaking freelance translator with a passion for music. Nadine handles the German site.
Milena and Ivana are our researchers, link-checkers, and WordPress heros.
What’s the secret to running a site like this? How does it work?
We’ve found that the real secret to making a success of a review website like this is to spend tons of time researching and writing about things that we really care about.
Everything else is secondary.
But the right tools do help. We use, count on, and happily recommend the following tools and services:
- Fiverr — For hiring out occasional art, research, and other tasks
- 1and1 — Professional, cheap, fast hosting with relatively little in terms of bullshit attempts to tack on unneeded services. We’ve had great customer support when neeeded.
- Skimlinks — The easiest automated way to monetize links
- Amazon Affiliates — The most profitable affiliate program for us, for now, since it’s where most people seem to be most comfortable shopping.
- Google Translate — Between us we speak tons of languages, but for those that we don’t this is ready to help us read research in other languages.
- Themeforest — We’re using the Presso theme purchased there, and it’s working fine for us with a bit of modification.
We intend to grow this site to cover a variety of products, but quite slowly, as each article requires a significant time investment to research, write and continuously update. Nevertheless, your suggestions for subjects to cover or anything else are welcome.
Offering website design/SEO/web videos/link exchanges/etc.? We’re not interested. All senders that get through our filters will immediately be blacklisted as spam and deleted.